If, like me, you have tried the most popular fixes for the error “configuration system failed to initialize” when you run certain application(s), and the problem is still persisting, then my rather drastic fix might help you too.
Warning: Back up your system before attempting any of these sorts of fixes. And try them at your own risk. I have not tested this fix on other systems.
Here is what I did that fixed the error:
1. Open File Explorer as Administrator
2. Navigate to This PC – your system drive (usually C:) – Windows –
3. Rename the Framework folder to something else, eg. FrameworkOLD
4. Rename the Framework64 folder to something else, eg. Framework64OLD
Note: You might get some warnings and messages about some apps are still running and using the framework. Stop as many as you can find. Worst case, restart in safe mode to do steps 3 and 4.
5. Start a command prompt as administrator
6. Run the command sfc /scannow
7. When that is finished, open the Control Panel / Settings window
8. Search for Update
9. Choose Check for Updates, and press the button Check for Updates
10. When the Update has finished, reboot the PC.
11. Test the app out, and hopefully the problem is resolved!
This is where to find information on how to use LAWC (Light Adjusting Wallpaper Changer).
Trying to figure out the difference between the choices that Windows (and other OSs) gives you for wallpaper modes, can be very confusing. Even nicely summarised explanations like this and this, can still be confusing without some illustrations to show how wallpapers with different aspect ratios affect these different modes.
So, here are example pictures of each of the modes, with different sized and shaped wallpapers. This is particularly handy to know if you are using LAWC (Wallpaper Changer), and want to change how your wallpapers are displayed.
Wallpaper Modes Explained
Here are example pictures of each of the modes, with different sized and shaped wallpapers. This is particularly handy to know if you are using Windows Wallpapers and LAWC (Wallpaper Changer), and want to change how your wallpapers are displayed.
|Original Images||Centre||Fill Width||Fit / Fill Height||Stretch||Tile||Span||LAWC**|
|1280x720||Coming Soonish||Coming Soonish|
|720x1280||Coming Soonish||Coming Soonish|
|481x481||Coming Soonish||Coming Soonish|
|3840x2160||Coming Soonish||Coming Soonish|
|2160x3840||Coming Soonish||Coming Soonish|
|3840x1080||Coming Soonish||Coming Soonish||Coming Soonish|
* The source images are 1280x720 (720p), 481x481, and 3840x2160 (4k). The desktop resolution is 1920x1080 (1080p).
** LAWC mode is only relevant to the LAWC application. Not available in standard installations of Windows, iOS, Linux, etc