Your LastPass Main Password (Master Password) is THE most important password to know if you use LastPass. This is the first key to getting access to all of your passwords within LastPass. Here are a few tips on passwords, and how to change the LastPass main password.
Choosing a Master Password
It is always good to know what best practice guidelines you should follow when creating and using passwords.
One thing to think about when choosing a new master password, is to consider using a passphrase. A passphrase is basically 3 (or more) unrelated words, joined together in a way you can easily remember them.
Use 2FA – 2 Factor Authentication
Two Factor Authentication is used as an extra layer of security. One example is that if someone managed to obtain your password for something and you did not have 2FA enabled, they would have access to your account immediately. If you did have 2FA enabled, then they would need to confirm an additional security check, like entering a code from your phone (via SMS or an Authenticator Application). The person with your password would not be able to gain access unless they had access to the 2FA process (eg. your smart phone).
Pro Tip: Always use Two Factor Authentication whenever a website / business provides it.
How To Change the Main Password (Master Password) in LastPass
The process to change the LastPass main Password is fairly easy and straightforward. The process I outline below uses the LastPass extension for Firefox, Chrome, Edge, Opera, etc.
- Once you have the extension installed into your browser of choice, and have logged in to LastPass, you should have a red icon available
- Click on this icon, and choose “Open My Vault”
- On the bottom right of this web page, choose “Account Settings”
- The screen that appears has a “Change Master Password” button. Pressing it will open a webpage
- Enter your current password
- Enter your new password / passphrase, then confirm it by entering it again in the “Re-Enter …” box
- Press the “Save Master Password” button
- If you already have 2FA enabled, you will need to approve the change.