About Light Adjusting Wallpaper Changer (LAWC)
This is a FREE handy tool which will allow you to change your wallpaper images, not only just at random, but it will also adjust the images for a Day / Night cycle which can be set to any time you want. LAWC stores the library of pictures catalogued from user selected folders, and will select wallpapers from those images. If you have multiple monitors, each screen gets a separate image.
It also supports multi-monitors, showing different images on each screen, as well as many more features (See below).
Latest Version 0.9.7.3 Beta
Download LAWC Now! 🙂
- There are bugs (see the Current Bug list below).
- If you have any questions or (constructive!) thoughts, or find any problems, please let me know in the comments.
- Some features listed below will depend on the settings you choose. Eg. if you pick non sky toned colour for Light times, and a dark orange for the Dark times, you may not get any improvement in assisting with sleep issues. It also may vary from person to person.
- Free, and Open source. The code will be available once I have released V1.0 (and have cleaned it up!). If you would like it sooner, please contact me via my blog
- Add and use multiple separate folders of images
- Random or sequential order for displaying the wallpapers, including prioritising wallpapers that have not been displayed before
- Use hot keys to do a wallpaper change (The default is CTRL+ALT+C)
- Keeps track of how often each wallpaper is displayed
- Adjust the overall tint, brightness, gamma, transparency, and contrast for wallpapers
- Set the adjustments based on the time of day (ie. set a dark time and a light time, and transition between them)
- Automatically set the Light and Dark times based on your chosen location’s sunrise and sunset times
- Set how often the wallpaper will change
- Filter the list of images by brightness, pixel size, image file size, and aspect ratio
- Turn the wallpaper display on/off on for each screen, When using the “Different on All” setting for multiple monitors
- View the current weather report
- Settings are stored in an XML file for portability, easy editing
- LAWC can be run as a normal windows application (where settings are stored in the %appdata% folder),
or it can be set (via command line, or the Advanced Settings) as Portable, where settings are stored in the same folder as the program
- Load and save settings to/from any location you want. Ie. You can have multiple configurations and load the one you want
- Automatic Backup, and ability to Restore settings
- A tool to maintain a list of websites cataloging where you can download more wallpapers, and when you last visited the sites
- 5700 images (4.9gb) added/processed in 12m20s on Dual Core i7 1.7ghz, win10, 8gb. (2010 model)
- 5700 images uses approximately 80mb RAM
- Can handle 25,000+ images
- Adjust the image scale for the wallpaper to show a border, or zoom in more
- Detects and uses Dark Mode in Windows 10 to adjust the interface colours accordingly
- Turn off / on wallpapers for each screen
- A custom wallpaper mode (LAWC Mode) to automatically choose the best mode for each image
- Displays the resolution, average brightness, aspect ratio, and Display count from the list
- View / delete images
- Open or delete the current wallpaper file (via the notification icon in the system tray)
- A tool to quickly and easily rename images, with a larger preview (right click on a Wallpaper to get started)
- Rename images in place (like File Explorer does)
- View the metadata for each image
- Can use data for weather, location, and computer hardware to display and alert you visually
- Display messages and values of sensors, on the desktop (embedded in the wallpaper)
- Display an image as the wallpaper, when sensor conditions are met (eg. When the CPU temperature is over 65 degrees C, display an image)
- Trigger a notification / balloon message when the sensor conditions are met
- Windows 10, 32 or 64 Bit
- .NET Framework 4.6.1 (Note: This should be installed with Windows Update)
- Minimum 60mb Ram
- Approximately 40mb Disk space
- Any modern processor (depends on how many images you want to have in the database, their resolution, and many other things as to how slow it will be!)
Let me know in the comments below which features you are most interested in (these or any others you might have):* Add an alternative wizard to set LAWC up with “Blue Light” settings
- Set a different fit/mode per wallpaper folder (eg. keep extra wide images in a separate folder to 16:9 etc)
- Track image history, so users can go back to the previous image
* Auto re-scan on content changes – detect file number and size changes to the folders
- Set max limit per minute for how often Notifications can appear
- Web cam light detector
- Multiple time changes beyond dark / light
- Adjust image settings during the light stage? Ie. adjust brightness and contrast etc during light time
- Randomize / fuzzy light and dark times? Any point?
- Highlight controls when there is an error (eg. Events – highlight empty fields)
- Blurred edges to pics that do not fill the screen
- Setting option to start as administrator, and/or a button
- Blur the wallpapers by a chosen amount. The idea being that it will make desktop icons and text easier to read with “busy” images
- Animate some values? (eg. animate the scale of a wallpaper over time – zoom in and out)
- Interface improvement – Change to multi value Sliders for aspect values, and LAWC mode settings
- LAWC Mode: Option to change what scaling is used in each range?
- Event – Use a category dropdown in Events, to make getting the right sensor easier. eg, pick between Weather, HDD, Hardware, etc
- Event – option for graph instead of text (or text with graph)
- Event – to use image folder (multiple images) instead of single image?
- Event – Option to show more wallpaper metadata
- Event – Choose which screen shows each event message
- Event – Add option to put event messages and images on a selected monitor, all monitors, etc
Articles / References
This is some of the info that helped inspire some of the features in LAWC:
- How to Deal With the Winter Blues Using Light (and Darkness)
- Blue Light May Be Better Than Coffee for Boosting Brain Power
- How ‘Blue Light’ Affects Your Eyesight
Known Bugs / Issues
- Tested with (only) 2 screens
- Maximum update speed for sensors etc is 1 second (1000ms)
- All statistics on performance may vary depending on your PC, Screen(s) Resolution(s), OS version, each image’s resolution, and your collection size.
- Scaling of images isnt always correct if the Windows 10 desktop scaling is set to values other than 100%
- Images with odd pixel sizes (eg. 1000×1073) may cause a partial border top and right
- Wide wallpapers are fit to one screen in most Fit settings, and not spanned when appropriate
- The “Set as Wallpaper” option does not set the image to the primary screen, but to the first one from left to right, and top to bottom
2018-11-27 Version 0.9.2.0
- Heaps of improvements and bug fixes
2014-08-13 Version 0.9.0.5
- Bug fixes and clean ups
- Added checking folders on start-up
- Added Reset Settings option
- To open (and delete, rotate, etc) an image currently displayed on your wallpaper, right click on the sample / preview image in the bottom right hand corner of the main screen, and pick the screen that has the image you are interested in, then the image should open in your default program (eg. Picture Viewer).
- You can enable / disable showing of images on particular screens / monitors under Settings – Screens tab – then selecting the screens that will show wallpaper images
- If you have started a folder scan, click on the progress bar to cancel it. Note: if you have told LAWC to scan *all* folders, then you will need to click on the progress bar for each one, to cancel it.
- Right click on the icon in the System Tray for options like deleting the current wallpaper, opening it, switching to Dark time, etc.
- Double click on the icon in the System Tray to change the wallpaper(s).
- Single click on the icon in the System Tray to show or hide LAWC.
- If you cannot see an image in the list, or it never appears as a wallpaper, have a look at the Filter options in Advanced Settings. Make sure you images are not being filtered out by
- To quickly/easily delete the current wallpaper, right click on the LAWC icon in the System Tray, and choose Delete Image, and pick which screen.
- If the main window has dissapeared or is not looking correct, you can reset LAWC’s size and position by right clicking on the icon in the system tray, and choosing “Reset Size and Position””
- If resetting the Settings (Options menu) does not work / do what you want, you can delete the settings.xml file (or named whatever you have selected)
* Clicking on the “Info” text at tbe bottom of the main screen will show you some useful details about your screens, and about LAWCs current settings
- Command line parameters:
-DebugOn This will record more verbose debug imformation into the error.log file
-PortableOn This will force LAWC to operate as a Portable application, and
will create and use a Settings file in the same folder as the executable
-PortableOff (Default) This will set LAWC to create and use a settings file in the %appdata% path, or whichever one you have loaded
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- None: Please feel free to ask questions in the comments area below